Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Creating with integrity

I made this canvas for a friend of mine who is someone special to me. She has wisdom, always gives me great advice about the boys. I love the colors
I tend to be drawn to bright things.
What bothers me is that it kind of resembles (ok totally looks like) the art of Christy Tomlinson. Her work is so fab!
But- it's hers. I am going to work on finding my own personal style. If it ends up too similar, then I'll need to tweak it.
I want to be an artist with integrity.
If my art looks like hers? Or Donna's (Downey) or Kelly Rae's(Roberts)
Then is it mine?  From my heart i say nope. Not really. I can go Into  store see a painting  and know who's made it because of the style. It all comes down to integrity and honesty. It also includes being able to have pride in my work instead of having a voice whisper that its only good because it resembles someone else's.
Those women are my mentors
I adore their work. When I meet them someday I want to be able to look them in the eye and feel I've had integrity, and that I am an authentic artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment